Whole House Remodel Contractors
Renovate Your Home
There are numerous factors to take into account before beginning a house remodeling or renovation. Your first concern is likely about how long this will take to complete. You might also wonder in what order to do things. How should you schedule each phase of your project?
The team at Total Quality Construction, an experienced complete home remodeling company in Toledo, OH, can help with each stage of the process. Learn more about our methodology for renovating an entire house.
The Difference Between Renovation and Remodel
The terms renovation and remodeling are sometimes considered interchangeable. The truth is that there is a key difference.
A renovation is when you seek to make something new or old into something new again. Therefore, a home renovation would mean upgrading an old house to suit your current demands. A house remodel, on the other hand, entails altering the form or structure of the house. This would include modifying the design or building an addition.
That said, things like scheduling and timelines for full house renovations and remodeling follow similar processes.
Renovation and Remodeling Timelines
Any timeframe for a home remodel should start with planning. Visualize how you want your house to look after the renovation or remodeling. Sit down and give your desired changes and project budget some serious thought. Once you have a reasonably clear concept of what you want and how much you can afford, you can start looking for a contractor to help you realize your plan.
Next comes the design phase. Here, you and your contractor will work together to develop a comprehensive renovation plan. This plan should include a budget, a material list, and a building timetable. This is when you’ll make all the significant renovation and remodeling decisions.
After the design phase comes the building phase. Depending on the size and extent of your project, the construction process could last a few weeks to a few months. Your discussions with the contractor should give you an idea of how long each portion will take or, if you’ll be working on more than one part of the project at once, how long the overall construction phase will take.
Finally, you need to factor in the time spent on the final touches, such as painting, carpeting, and fittings. The finishing touches are essential since they make your house look like a home.
There is no exact formula for how long each phase will take because every home is unique. However, every project follows a similar procedure: remodeling a kitchen or an entire house.
Full Home Renovation/Remodel Checklist
Here is a working checklist for what goes into home remodeling or renovation:
- Planning – Envision your project and how you’d like to see it come out. Work with a contractor and develop a design and plan of action. Remember, the size of the project will determine how long it takes.
- Foundation and/or Roof – If your home’s foundation or roof currently have major structural issues such as a crumbling foundation or rotting roof, these need to be given priority. Always start with the potentially hazardous items so that the rest of the project proceeds as planned.
- Demolition – In short, this is where you tear down what needs to be torn down—cabinets, counters, walls, stairs, etc. When this is done, new construction can begin.
- Structure and Utility Work – At this time, construction work, new walls, and windows are completed, as well as any other structural adjustments needed. This is also the ideal time to change up any plumbing, HVAC, or ductwork—especially in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Insulation and Drywall – When your wall framework (if any) is finished, this is when you begin adding insulation and drywall. This tends to go pretty quickly.
- Windows, Doors, and Interior Design – New windows and doors can now be added, and you can start considering paint colors, and installing flooring, carpeting, siding, and other finishing touches.
How Long Should a Home Renovation or Remodeling Take?
Here are some very rough estimates for different home renovation projects. This gives you an idea of the overall timelines you should plan for.
- New roof: A week or less
- Deck: Two weeks
- Bathroom remodel: 4-8 weeks
- Kitchen remodel: Between 6-12 weeks
- Detached garage: Between 2-3 weeks
- Custom finished basement: 12-16 weeks
- Home Additions: 3-6 months to complete
These approximate time frames might help you understand what needs to be done, even though every home project will differ.
Total Quality Construction Full Remodeling Services
Total Quality Construction can turn any home improvement project you have in mind into a reality. Remodels, expansions, and improvements are carried out effectively and competently. Meet with our project design team to help you or a contractor plan your next project.
Your home renovation dreams become a reality once you contact Total Quality Construction to arrange a free consultation. Call now! (419) 843-6737